The deliverables for this project are as follows:Â
- Digital Forensics Research Paper: This should be a five-page double-spaced Word document with citations in APA format. The page count does not include diagrams or tables.
- I will provide the Lab document, I will attach it here and a word document outlining the assignment.
Project 5 Resources
The deliverables for this project are as follows:
1. Digital Forensics Research Paper: This should be a five-page double-spaced Word document with citations in APA format. The page count does not include diagrams or tables.
This project will provide an introduction to digital forensic analysis.
Digital forensic analysis is used to review and investigate data collected through digital communications and computer networks. The National Institute for Standards and Technology (NIST) has defined four fundamental phases for forensic analysis: collection, examination, analysis, and reporting. You will learn more about these concepts as you navigate throughout the steps of this project and read the literature and links found in each step.
There are four steps that will lead you through this project. Begin with Step 1: “Methodology.” The deliverables for this project are as follows:
1. Digital Forensic Research Paper: This should be a five-page double-spaced Word document with citations in APA format. The page count does not include diagrams or tables.
Step 1: Methodology
The methodology for digital forensics follows a systems process. Identify the requirements, purpose, and objectives of the investigation. Click the links below to review information that will aid in conducting and documenting an investigation:
Secure Programming Fundamentals
It is important that programmers follow secure coding methods and adopt safe practices in the development stage, rather than trying to implement them at a later stage.
One of the fundamental secure programming practices is input validation, which is performed to prevent attacks from external sources. The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) also emphasizes its importance for safe programming in its “Guide to Secure Web Services”:
Write all web service code in languages that automatically perform input validation, such as Java and C#, or if writing in C or C++, ensure that all expected input lengths and formats are explicitly specified, and that all inputs received are validated to ensure that they do not exceed those lengths or violate those formats. Error and exception handling should be expressly programmed to reject or truncate any inputs that violate the allowable input lengths/formats (Singhal et al., 2007).
Another fundamental practice to ensure security is access control, which is implemented to prevent unauthorized access, resulting in intentional or unintentional changes to the code. In addition it is important to include security tools and architectures that can detect code errors and prevent attacks. Finally, it is useful to develop mitigation strategies by modeling possible threats and testing the code.
Singhal, A., Winograd, T., & Scarfone, K. (2007).Â
Computer security: Guide to secure web services: Reco
THE REQUIRED LAB QUESTIONS
Act as a forensic analyst charged to assist lead forensic investigators of XPD, you have been able to assist the lead investigators to examine and analyze computer and digital evidence for the purpose of identification, collection, preservation of evidence, and possibly prosecution of crime suspects. Based on the knowledge and experience gained from the lab about the use of BitLocker encryption, answer the following questions.
1. What forensic and disk information can you determine from the summary or the content of the text file?Â
In the summary section of the disc content, valid information such as the case number, evidence number, and the investigator among other drive information are found. These are important because they show where the information was obtained, and other information is required to validate the evidence without having to read through the entire report. See the figure below for this case:
2. How does this forensic information tell you about the case information you provided in the Evidence Item Information earlier?Â
The summarized information shows that this case was being investigated by the XYZ police department and the examiner is XY. The information can also help me keep track of the chain of custody. I am also able to verify that the information was collected over a physical drive as instructed for this case.
3. Acting as a forensic analyst to assist lead forensic investigatorsÂ at XPD (i.e. XYZ police department), how will the knowledge gained hep you examine digital evidence for the purpose of identification, collection, preservation of evidence, and possibly prosecution of crime suspects? Be reminded that it is the policy of XPD to use all proven legal means and methodologies to minimize incidence of computer crimes.Â
During this exercise, I conducted a series of activities which are shown in annex section at the end of this document. One of the valid information acquired involves procedures of imaging which begins from firing up the tool, creating partitions, and mining data. The information is equipped with the desired knowledge of how to carry out complete data and evidence acquisition while ensuring that data integrity is always maintained. I will be able to assist the XYZPD with all the forensic analysis processes.
4. What happens to a fragment of an image file larger than the fragment size of 1500 MB (e.g. 1 TB)? Also, in our case, how many chunks of image files can you get should the fragment size be changed to 200 MB during the imaging process?
Why Choose Us
- 100% non-plagiarized Papers
- 24/7 /365 Service Available
- Affordable Prices
- Any Paper, Urgency, and Subject
- Will complete your papers in 6 hours
- On-time Delivery
- Money-back and Privacy guarantees
- Unlimited Amendments upon request
- Satisfaction guarantee
How it Works
- Click on the “Place Your Order” tab at the top menu or “Order Now” icon at the bottom and a new page will appear with an order form to be filled.
- Fill in your paper’s requirements in the "PAPER DETAILS" section.
- Fill in your paper’s academic level, deadline, and the required number of pages from the drop-down menus.
- Click “CREATE ACCOUNT & SIGN IN” to enter your registration details and get an account with us for record-keeping and then, click on “PROCEED TO CHECKOUT” at the bottom of the page.
- From there, the payment sections will show, follow the guided payment process and your order will be available for our writing team to work on it.