Math 125, Paper One
(5% of Final Grade)
For this paper, you will investigate biased questions. After you create your own neutral and
biased questions, you will gather data to examine if the wording you used had an effect on how
Here are examples of two different biased questions.1
• According to research from The Journal of the American Medical Association, “stronger
gun policies were associated with decreased rates of firearm homicide, even after
adjusting for demographic and sociologic factors.”2 Do you support or oppose stricter
gun control laws in the United States?
• The United States Constitution says, “the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall
not be infringed.” Do you support or oppose stricter gun control laws in the United
Both questions ask about the person’s ideas about gun control, but they position them
differently. (People are likely to have strong opinions on gun control already; I suggest you
choose a less contentious topic.)
A more neutral version would be “do you support or oppose stricter gun control laws in the
United States?” (Note that this is still a little bit biased. There is a small bias because of the word
order – support is first – so in a real-world situation it would be best to change the order
randomly when you asked people, putting support first half the time and oppose first half the
time. Using the word “stricter” will also potentially influence people’s responses. It’s nearly
impossible to write a perfectly neutral question; you’re just going to do the best you can.)
1 Other examples can be found at: https://www.qualtrics.com/blog/writing-survey-questions/ and
2 From Firearm Laws and Firearm Homicides: A Systematic Review | Firearms | JAMA Internal Medicine | JAMA
Network Information downloaded 6/12/202
(Found via On gun violence, the United States is an outlier | Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation)
Why Choose Us
- 100% non-plagiarized Papers
- 24/7 /365 Service Available
- Affordable Prices
- Any Paper, Urgency, and Subject
- Will complete your papers in 6 hours
- On-time Delivery
- Money-back and Privacy guarantees
- Unlimited Amendments upon request
- Satisfaction guarantee
How it Works
- Click on the “Place Your Order” tab at the top menu or “Order Now” icon at the bottom and a new page will appear with an order form to be filled.
- Fill in your paper’s requirements in the "PAPER DETAILS" section.
- Fill in your paper’s academic level, deadline, and the required number of pages from the drop-down menus.
- Click “CREATE ACCOUNT & SIGN IN” to enter your registration details and get an account with us for record-keeping and then, click on “PROCEED TO CHECKOUT” at the bottom of the page.
- From there, the payment sections will show, follow the guided payment process and your order will be available for our writing team to work on it.